What Causes Ankle Pain?
Ankle pain refers to a discomfort and pain in your ankles. Arthritis, injury, or a sprain can cause pain. An ankle sprain is one of the most common causes of ankle pain. It occurs when the tissues that connect bones and the ligaments tear or strain. Most ankle sprains occur when your foot rolls, causing a twist in your outside ankle. This action tears the ligaments. The inflammation persists for about seven to fourteen days. However, if the injury is severe, it may take a few months to fully heal. Unfortunately, the sprained ankle once healed is sometimes less stable and weaker than the other ankle. The utmost risk factor for an ankle sprain is having a previous ankle sprain.
Causes of ankle pain
When uric acid builds up in the body, gout occurs. This build-up of uric acid can deposit crystals in the joints, causing a sharp pain. Pseudogout is when calcium deposits build up in the joint. Symptoms of both pseudogout and gout include inflammation, redness, and pain.
Arthritis is the inflammation of the joints.
- Osteoarthritis is the most common types of arthritis that can cause pain in the ankles. Wear and tear of the joints cause osteoarthritis. Cartilage which cushions the two bones to form joints breaks down. The breaking down of the cartilage causes friction between two bones and it causes stiffness and pain in the joint
- Rheumatoid arthritis occurs when the immune system attacks the thin membrane in the joints. It is a chronic inflammatory disease of the human joints. Rheumatoid arthritis affects about 90 percent of people in their ankles, feet, hands, wrists, and elbows.
- Septic arthritis is one type of arthritis that is caused by a fungal or bacterial infection.
- Psoriatic arthritis is a form of arthritis that is subsequent to psoriasis skin disease.
- Juvenile arthritis is the type of arthritis that affects teens.
- Reactive arthritis is a chronic form of arthritis that occurs when there is an infection in the genital, urinary, or gastrointestinal system. Symptoms of reactive arthritis include swelling of joints, urinary problems, skin problems or low back pain.
What to Do
Get rid of the flats and sandals. As a result, wearing flat shoes, you to lose the support for your arch.
Avoid bumpy ground. Uneven ground, rocky pathways can cause injury to the ankles affected by arthritis. Walking on uneven ground is a common cause of ankle sprain.
Chiropractic care is beneficial for people of all ages. Chiropractors use specialized techniques to heal ankle injuries, sprains and other forms of ankle pains. They do clinical stretching and bone adjustment techniques in the ankle. Beyond Wellness customize chiropractic care specifically for your needs.
If you want to make an appointment to see a top-rated chiropractor in Charlotte, NC, please call Beyond Wellness today.